Thursday, August 13, 2009

Innocent or not; you be the judge

I'm a big fan of self esteem and beauty but not at the cost of a child's innocence. I was watching Toddlers and Tiara's last night on TLC; and the whole show was wrong. There was a section called natural beauty-yet these are 5-7 yr old little girls with fake eye lashes, hair extensions, and grown woman's make-up on. (the pic to the right is an example of what some of the girls were looking like.... a porcelain doll)I don't see whats so natural about it, when I hear natural I'm thinking no make-up maybe its just me. Whats even more alarming is the mothers who agree to this for their children. I get its your child and you can raise them how you see fit; but is this the best that you can do? Look at the message that it sends to the children who didn't win, " am I not as pretty as the rest?"
With that being said it seems that it does the opposite of giving self esteem. You cant find another way to uplift your child something that doesn't make the look like mini adults? Whats the difference between girls who are 11-14 yrs old wearing that much make-up and the 5-7 yr old wearing that much? Society as a whole is quick to judge a child wearing that much make-up by calling them fast, or saying that they look like tramps or sluts; yet in still no one has any issue with a child who is 5-7 yrs old? hummmmmm whats wrong with that picture? If you ask me the parents who knowingly allow that much make up to go on their child is far worse than the ones who are experimenting with it....and people wonder why little girls are growing up thinking that its ok to look like grown women at the age of 12, or why older men seems to go after younger girls. By far I am NOT making excuses for the men but it does play a factor. All during the show I kept hearing parents telling the girls to flirt with their eyes or strut their stuff a little more,etc. I'm 27 and I just learned what it means to flirt with your eyes....these children had fake teeth to cover up the fact that they might have lost a tooth, where is the innocence in that or allowing a 5 yr old to look like shes 21?

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Those little girls faces will be messed up from all that make-up well into their teenage years. a lot of people don't feel it wrong but I see a whole bunch of parents who live their lives carelessly through their kids which isn't right at all especially if the little girl wants to do other things that spark their interest and not the parents.

    ReplyDelete